Thursday, January 14, 2010

Parenting Tip: Buying clothes for your children

Let's face it...baby clothes are adorable. And in my opinion, especially girl clothes...all the little dresses, bows, patterns, cute little kitty faces, I could go on forever. If you are a bargain shopper like me, you won't believe the prices on some of these too! I love Jumping Beans (sold at Kohl's) and did you know that even without a sale and my additional % off for Kohl's MVPs, you can get a pair of jeans for $5?? FIVE DOLLARS?!? The only place I think I could get a pair of jeans for myself for $5 would be on a clearance rack, would be two sizes to big, and be the weirdest color of denim I have ever seen (or have some strange pattern on it!)
Seriously, it can be really easy to over-buy. Especially if you find out the sex of your child before he/she is born. I found out in August 2008 that I was having two girls, just in time for all the summer clothes to be on clearance...so I bought some, my mom bought some, many of my baby shower attendees bought some. Then, they're born, I go through so many diapers and late night feedings I forget about all these clothes, come spring the new lines are out...all so cute...and I buy more. Finally their first summer is here! I look into all the clothes I have...WHOOPS, I have a lot of clothes. I wanted to see how many days I could go without them wearing the same outfit twice and it was 27. Hmm...if I ever have another girl, I guess she can go the entire summer without wearing the same outfit twice (well, twice because I normally dress them in the same outfit, but not physically the same one :)
WINTER CLOTHES TIP-EG and SK were in 9-month size clothes in Fall but when I started buying them long sleeve outfits, I opted for 12-months so they could wear them longer (I live in the wonderful state of Wisconsin, where it's cold from October to March/April) One thing I didn't think of...I bought them many sets where the pants were made out of thin cotton-fine for fall/spring, but not so good for the middle of winter (For those of you lucky enough to live in the south, we are often in single digits/ below 0 here-although it's a heatwave today-high of 34 degrees!) I found myself mid-December going out and buying more pants-jeans and sweatpants this time. So if you live in cold climates, I suggest buying less cotton pants that will match the shirt and more mix-and-match jeans and sweatpants...you'll save a lot of money this way :)

1 comment:

  1. The girls did have tons of clothes last summer didn't they? Oh, but so cute!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete