Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Parenting Tip: It's ok to love your newborn and not like them

Every mom is supposed to love their children, no matter what...right???
When my daughters first came home from the hospital (they stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks) all we were to do with them was feed them, change them, and put them back to bed. They were already on a schedule of eating every four hours, but between feeding both of them bottles, plus pumping (physically nursing them didn't work for me) I was lucky if I got a straight 2 hours of sleep at one time. My husband would take middle of the night feedings on his days off and my mom often came over and stayed until 1 AM to help me get more sleep, but it still wasn't enough. Besides being sleep deprived, I just didn't feel like I was bonding with them. I knew I loved EG and SK, but did I like them? I wanted to, but I just felt like a horrible mom because I didn't. I went and saw a counselor when they were about 6 weeks, but unfortunately there were no words of comfort. Finally, about a week later, I went to Barnes and Noble (CA insisted I get out a little by myself) and I picked up a copy of "Chicken Soup for the New Mom's Soul"
This book made me feel totally better. It was filled with stories of how new mom's felt physically, mentally, and finally, stories about mom's who felt like they didn't bond with their children and felt isolated as a new mom. That was really all I was looking for...the reassurance that I wasn't a horrible mom because I didn't bond with my girls right away, and that there are many moms out there that felt the same way.
I am writing this because if there are any moms out there who are feeling they don't really like their new baby either, IT IS OK! You are not a horrible mom! For me, I just continued to plug through taking care of EG and SK and trying to take care of myself, and eventually, it got better (especially once they began sleeping through the night!)
Now, I can't imagine life without them, wouldn't want to, can't wait to see what they'll do next!

1 comment:

  1. I know the first few weeks were tough, but you're doing a great job. EG & SK are very happy babies. You're a wonderful Mom!

    ReplyDelete